What is the Ossiarch Bonereapers?
The Ossiarch Bonereapers is the next release for the Death: Grand Alliance in Age of Sigmar. It will be an army comprised of all new models and are based around heavy “skeleton” infantry, cavalry and war machines.
When will the Ossiarch Bonereapers release?
The reveal video (first shown at Nova Open) tells us that the Ossiarch Bonereapers will be available for preorder in October.
We know that preorders are always on a Saturday and that the release will be either the Saturday 1 or 2 weeks after that. Since big releases are usually 2 weeks after preorder, it gives us the following dates where the release can happen:
The release date for Ossiarch Bonereapers can be one of the following dates:
- Saturday 19 October 2019
- Saturday 26 October 2019
- Saturday 2 November 2019
- Saturday 9 November 2019
What is the lore and aesthetic behind the Ossiarch Reapers release?
- This is Nagash's elite army, the culmination of his great plan and his answer to the Stormcast Eternals and other big dudes. While skelemabobs are cool and all, he needed something bigger
- The reapers are made from bone and souls, but all fused together in a big mass of bulk. Nagash has jammed multiple souls into a big chunky mass of bone. Why? Because he thinks it is cool and stuff.
- Nagash likes bone so much that even the armour of the reapers is made from bone-stuff.
- If you wonder why they look slightly off, remember that this army is made directly from the weird mind of Nagash himself. This is his vision of a grand supreme army (so pack away your own vision of what you wanted).
- The army has parts and hints at many different real-world cultures and Old World armies. This is all drawn from Nagashes own memory (and if you read the stories, you know his memory is pretty messed from all the dying, rebirthing and messing about with soul-stuff).
- Why do the skeletons have big weird noses and freaky smiles? Well, Nagash really does not care how you think a skeleton looks like. This is dudes made from bone (like clay), but not directly risen from bone.
- Is Katakros the big bad evil hinted in Forbidden Power? Some say yes, some say no. Right now I cannot get a clear answer.
- It will be interesting to read some novels based on these guys. Will they be walking mindless automatons, or will they have weird split personality dude to the multiple souls inside?
- Katakros will start off quite weak, but gain significant power as the warscroll takes damage.
- GW says that there are more miniatures to be revealed.
- The skele-dudes will have various head options, so it might possible to make an army without the noses and freaky smiles. If you take a close look at the pictures, the funny faces might a mask (it would be very much Nagash to try and spite Sigmar in such a petty way).
- In the background of the video it looks like you can see some other models. So far it seems that some of the kits will be able to build two different units (which is very much the style of the earlier “now AoS-models” releases we have seen).
- The Bonereapers will get a “dual box” with together with the new Ogor's in October.
What miniatures will be in the Ossiarch Reapers release?
So far we know about the following miniatures being released:
- Infantry called Mortek Guard
- Cavalry named Kavalos Deathriders
- A priest/wizard dude
- Big infantry with four hands, Necropolis Stalkers
- The Mortek Crawl – a semi-sentient war machine
- A special character called “Katakros”
People present at the Nova reveal say that the Morghast miniatures will also be part of the Bonereapers book. Looking at the sculpts, it is clear that they fit very well into the theme.